Before you consider applying for a position at Guard Up, you should consider reading the book “Good to Great” by Jim Collins. This book will give you an accurate picture of the working environment at Guard Up. Our team is extremely dedicated, disciplined, loyal and hard-working. We have no “class distinction” at Guard Up between management, staff and instructors. You’re as likely to find the CEO taking out the garbage as you will our janitorial staff.
We are very appreciative of our employees, but we do not “motivate” them. They come with their own internal motivation. Our employees regularly arrive early and work late. This is not the exception… it is the standard.
The sense of camaraderie at Guard Up is high. We often socialize together, throw parties and share hobbies. We are a diverse community with people from a variety of lifestyles, ethnicities, religions and abilities. And we are protective of this diversity.
Please do not apply if you think this may be a “cool thing to try out.” We want people who are interested in a future with our company. We are looking for long-term employees who are proactive, flexible, can see opportunity, and are interested in a career. If you feel that this type of environment is one in which you can thrive, then consider our job openings. We look forward to talking with you.
Guard Up! Family Swordsmanship is looking for energetic, goal-oriented, team players. Part time, entry-level position for candidate with a strong sense of teamwork and a responsible work ethic . Experience (and a passion for) working with children required. No experience in swordsmanship necessary. We will train you. Weekends and reliable transportation required. Our company has a great deal of upward mobility for people who wish to pursue higher level career options. $12-$20/hr depending on experience and certifications, as well as paid meetings and paid training. Offsite classes provide paid travel. No commissions. Must love families and kids. Must have own car (we are not near public transportation). Previous experience working with Special Needs is a plus. All applicants must submit to a SORI and CORI (criminal background) check. All applicants must also pass their annual CPR and First Aid certifications (training provided by us). Monday and Wednesday evening training meetings required once a month. Fill out form below to submit your resume.
Fencing Coach Job
Guard Up is currently looking for foil fencers who love to teach kids, teens and adults. Previous coaching experience is not necessary – but previous fencing experience is. Our greatest need is for instructors who have previous experience working with children in any capacity (not necessarily as a fencing coach) and are interested in professional growth as an educator/coach. Important: Must have your own car and be available for hours on some weekday evenings and between 1-6pm on Saturdays. Compensation is $15-$20/hr depending on experience and whether or not you have certifications. All applicants must submit to a SORI and CORI (criminal background) check. All applicants must also pass their annual CPR and First Aid certifications. Monday and Wednesday evening training meetings required once a month. Please submit resume and cover letter via form below and notate that this is for the Fencing Coach Job. Submit application below.
Historic Weapons Instructors Job
Guard Up is looking for an Historic Weapons Instructor for classes and demonstrations beginning immediately and continuing year round. The position of instructor for classes requires the base ability to entertain and maintain control of up to 15 students for 1 hour to 1.5 hours in a closed room environment. The duties of an offsite instructor require a car (we are not near public transit) following a base script in costume and packing/returning weapons for the demonstrations. Pay rate is $12-$20/hr depending on experience, training, and coaching ability. Monday and Wednesday evening training meetings required once a month.
Other Responsibilities and Expectations Include:
– Experienced, knowledgeable and able to teach multiple types of bladed weapons (history, background knowledge, and use)
– Proficient with at least two non-bladed weapons (preference for first is staff)
– Comfortable instructing classes up to 15 students
– Comfortable speaking to large groups (up to 100) about the history and background of different weapon styles
– Willingness to use or proficiency in Positive Coaching philosophies (for specific information look into the “Double-Goal Coach” and the Positive Coaching Alliance)
– Reliable car and good driving record for offsite demonstrations
– Experience using/working with (or willingness to learn and work with) foam weapons as a training tool and safe open sparring weapon
– Experience working with children and adults
– Sport Fencing experience may result in some additional hours if desired
Submit application below.
Guard Up also has many unpaid positions open for Interns who would like to gain work experience while enjoying the benefits of free membership and training, staff retail discounts and possible future employment:
- Website Development (particularly those proficient in WordPress)
- Advertising Design and/or Advertising Copy
- Photography and/or Videography
- Office Assistant
- Facility Maintenance
Before filling out this form:
We are certainly interested in your previous experience with theater arts, roleplaying and other skills… but the most important skill of all is your ability to work with children and teens. Please make sure to include a full history of your experience working with kids including children with special needs or work history with summer camp jobs, mentor programs, teaching, etc.
Guard Up also has summer camp positions such as the following:
Summer Camp Counselors
The best candidates are:
- Age 20 and over with experience working with kids of various ages. Teachers and childcare professionals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- People who love teaching in a positive learning environment and who have afternoons or weekends available.
- Residential/Overnight and Day Camp Counselors who have background in theater or acting
- Coaches, Teachers, Instructors or Group Leaders who are passionate about working with kids, but may not have experience in our particular activities
The best candidates for Guard Up Youth Instructors are energetic, creative, safety conscious, flexible and interested in modern teaching methodologies. No experience in swordsmanship or fencing is necessary. We will train you.
To apply and for more details, please fill out form here: Summer Camp Counselor Job Openings